top of page
January 17, 1898, Warsaw - February 22, 1980, Warsaw
Jerzy Albert Lefeld - Polish pianist, composer and teacher. Son of Karol and Helena née Szneidry. Initially, he studied music with L. Prüfferowa and S. Judycki (piano). From 1908, he was educated at the Music Institute in Warsaw, where he completed his piano studies with Aleksander Michałowski (1916) and composition with Roman Statkowski (1917). He immediately became involved with this university and the later conservatory for many years of teaching cooperation (1917–1939), with a break in 1919–1920 when he served in the Polish Army. In the years 1924–1926 he also collaborated with an experimental radio studio in Warsaw, and from 1926 with the Polish Radio (among others as a member of the Mała Orkiestra PR led by J. Ozimiński).
In the years 1941–1944 he was engaged in pedagogy, gave concerts in cafes and secret patriotic concerts in private homes.
After the war, until 1971, he taught the piano class at the State Higher School of Music in Warsaw. During over 60 years of pedagogical activity, he educated 40 pianists. Witold Lutosławski, Stefan Kisielewski, Witold Małcużyński, Jerzy Maksymiuk. Lefeld was an outstanding chamber pianist with a great ability to play by sight. He was engaged in accompaniment already in his youth, accompanying his father, an amateur tenor. In the years 1917–1926, he performed with Stanisław Barcewicz at over 100 concerts. The list of artists with whom he performed includes the names of over 50 singers (including Stanisława Korwin-Szymanowska, Ada Sari, Ewa Bandrowska-Turska, Wanda Wermińska, Wiktor Brégy, Vittoria Calma, Alfred Orda, Bogdan Paprocki, Andrzej Hiolski, Stefania Woytowicz , Jerzy Artysz) and about 30 different instrumentalists (including Carl Flesch, Paul Hindemith, Ida Haendel, Zino Francescatti, Ruggiero Ricci, Irena Dubiska, Eugenia Umińska, Wacław Kochański, Wanda Wiłkomirska, Konstanty Andrzej Kulka). He also played in piano duets with Zofia Rabcewiczowa (a recording of Chopin's Rondo in C major for 2 pianos), Roman Maciejewski, Maria Wiłkomirska, and Władysław Szpilman. From June 25, 1927, he was married to Stefania Siwecka. Buried at the Evangelical-Augsburg Cemetery at Młynarska Street (26 avenue, grave 17.
bottom of page